Lawsuits Reveal Tragic Effects of School Bullies; New Book Is a Shocking Memoir from a Bully Target Skanks Blogger Case Further Defines the Limits of the Cyberstalking and Internet Defamation That Google Bombed Sue Scheff
Aug 24

Jane Velez-Mitchell proves seven nights a week that she is not afraid of confronting the tough issues or expressing the unpopular opinion during her HLN news talk show, “Issues.” In her new book, however, Jane may be expressing her most unpopular opinion of all. According to Velez-Mitchell, Americans are addicted to consuming.

What leads Velez-Mitchell to say this, and what gives her the authority to label the consuming habits of most Americans as addictive, is Jane’s own consumption addiction, which, she admits, gave her a high while she was shopping, and a hangover after she had made the purchase. “To improve my standing on the totem pole I, like others, have jockeyed for position. One way to do that is by engaging in competitive consumption,” Jane says in her book.

Jane admits that competitive consumption gave her “the high of the buy.” But like any addiction, the buzz wears off eventually, and the cycle of addiction is self-perpetuating. “I would often feel guilty, remorseful, and anxiety ridden after making a purchase,” Jane says. “Within an hour or so I began to sober up to the reality of an unnecessary and self-indulgent purchase.” But, as with any addiction, the “hangover” is usually not enough to curtail the impulsive behavior the next time. Even though she was successfully recovering from her alcoholism, Jane was still an addict.

Even though “consumption addiction” is a new idea, the concept of addiction is very familiar in the United States. A recent survey conducted by Lake Research Partners reveals that a 76% of U.S. adults know someone who has been addicted to alcohol or drugs. As staggering as that figure is, it only addresses a portion of the things that Americans are addicted to. According to many different authorities, addictive behavior in the U.S. is the norm, not the exception. Recent research studies have reveals that American society now includes:

- 72 million obese, and therefore addicted to consuming more calories than their bodies need to function
- 30 million addicted to the internet
- 25 million addicted to nicotine
- 23 million addicted to alcohol and drugs
- 21 million addicted to caffeine
- 18 million alcoholics
- 16 million addicted to sex
- 7 million addicted to pain pills
- 6 million cocaine addicts
- 3 million addicted to gambling
- 3 million addicted to video games
- 400,000 addicted to meth
- 213,000 addicted to heroin

This does not include the number of people who are addicted to marijuana or television, which are not very hip and therefore not studied very much any more. No one can even estimate the number of Americans who are addicted to work and money, since it’s very difficult to find a healthy benchmark for those behaviors in the U.S.

There is also no scientific data yet for Addictions 2.0, although it seems fairly obvious when you spend time in any public venue that there are millions of Americans who can’t stop texting, twittering, and talking on cellphones, no matter where they are or what else they’re supposed to be doing. Of course, behind every social media addiction is the newest high tech gadget that makes the virtual socializing accessible at all times.

Velez-Mitchell admits that she was addicted to gadgets. “I had gadget lust,” Jane says in her book. “The guys at my local electronics franchise knew me by name and would swarm toward me with big grins on their faces when I walked in the store,” Jane says. “When they nicknamed me ‘Gadget Girl,’ I realized they thought I was an easy mark.”

Even though Jane has become clear about her own consumption addiction, what makes her think everyone else shares her in this particular dysfunction? The economic events that she’s been studying and reporting in the past two years is one thing that makes it clear to Jane that her assessment is correct. “If there’s a silver lining to the current economic crisis, it’s that Americans are finally being forced to distinguish between what we merely lust after and what we genuinely need,” Jane says.

Statistics provide evidence that Americans have created an addicted culture of consumerism for themselves. The average amount of disposable income that Americans have saved since 1929 is just 7%. Consumption per capita, in contrast has climbed 25% in the past 20 years. Americans have been on a two-decade spending binge, which finally ended with a crash and has left us all with an economic hangover and spending withdrawal.

Consumerism escalated at such a fast pace that now more than 60% of the U.S. GDP depends on Americans purchasing more stuff. This has created the greatest conundrum of the recession for Americans. We can’t afford to spend like we used to, but our economy won’t improve until we start spending like we used to. It’s a cycle of insanity that is familiar to anyone who has broken free from their own personal addiction cycle.

Since Americans consume more than they create these days, getting to the first step of the addiction where we admit that we have a problem is going to be particularly difficult. When a major story in Time magazine in January, 2009 advised people to get sad about the recession because sadness motivates spending, it revealed the dysfunctionality of our thought processes. When former president Bush told Americans that one of the best ways they could respond to 9/11 was to go to the mall and shop, it revealed the insanity of the whole U.S. economic system from the top down.

Velez-Mitchell says in her book that consumption addiction has caused American society to devolve instead of evolve.

Now a recovering consumption addict, Jane also explains in her book what it’s going to take for Americans to break free from the consuming habits that drive them. “My frst step was to surrender to the fact that no material product would ever fundamentally alter my inner emotional state,” Jane said. She finally realized that she couldn’t express her individuality with products, which is what most Americans have been hypnotized into thinking. “What’s unique about me lies within me, not on my shelf, in my cupboard or in my driveway,” Jane wrote.

With the economic crash, frugality has become the new black, and many Americans have spontaneously freed themselves from the overconsumption spell. But with both industry and government pushing for American consuming to resume (ala sales tax holidays), it will be difficult not to get lured into the addictive cycle again.

Like any addiction, Jane takes her consumption addiction one day at a time. “When I am able to let go of my hunger for more, I can relax and say to myself, I have enough. From there it’s easy to deduce, I do enough. Ultimately, that leads me to the realization, I am enough. It’s a wonderful mantra that has helped me when I start feeling cravings for stuff I don’t need: I have enough, I do enough, I am enough.” And she no longer needs stuff to prove that to anyone, least of all to herself.

Jane Velez-Mitchell’s book, “iWant, My Journey From Addiction and Overconsumption to a Simpler, Honest Life” is scheduled for release September 1, 2009.

• Share/Save/Bookmark

9 Responses to “HLN’s Jane Velez-Mitchell Calls Herself a Consuming Addict and Says Most Americans Are Addicted Too”

1. Judy Willis says:

Hello Jane, I, Too, am a recovering addict of beer. Have been sober for 24 3/4 years. I shared in the aa meetings for one full year which was not court ordered and I truly feel that without that I would not be here today. I since have smoked for 43 years, wound up with lung cancer. I will soon be lung cancer free for two years next month. I stopped smoking on a Sunday and had my surgery the NEXT day. Have NOT had a cigarette since day before surgery. So hang in there. I did and I now am 65 years old and doing well. Will be hunting for your book so I can read it. Best of luck and I love your t.v. show along with Nancy Grace. Thanks again.

2. sheila asselin says:

Good Morning Jane,

I became and accidental addict after my husband died and I was prescribed Lorazapam (a benzodiazapine). I write articles and try to educate people to the dangers of prescriptiond drugs. I have a lengthy story I’d like to send you but don’t know where to send it. My goal is to write a book as I actually still have my daily journals of my two year nightmare of withdrawal. No one should have to go what I did and the more people are educated the less they will have to. Thank your for your courage and honesty in getting your story out. Sincerely, Sheila

3. Two cents says:

enough already about being an addict. enough about the damn book. ease up a bit on the “war on women;” it’s getting too repetitious. stop shouting

otherwise, i enjoy your show

4. JEFF WARREN says:

Hi Jane.I am in alcohol recovery, and have been for quite a while.. I am 43 years old. I know you are an INSPIRATION to many people. The “worse” thing people do is deny they have a problem, and i know lots of drug addicts and mostly alcoholics that don’t think they have a problem. I have been to a few rehab centers, and lots of AA meetings,been trying to stay clean, i have had a hard time. I have relapsed many times, but am NOT giving up or I die. I have joined a new Church (July 09) and it is a “Great” place. They have a seperate program based on the 12 steps and Bible principles called Celebrate Recovery. I understand it is growing; there are several in my city in Alabama. We meet, eat and have great fellowship, study,it should meet longer each time. I have good support from my Mom and Dad, lots of others are Praying for me. I also watch your show, and you do an excellent job, (my dad and i think you are beautiful). Keep up the good work and Happy New Year!! p.s. I’m going to see about getting your book, unless you want to send me a free one, as i am actually on temporary leave from my job for how long i dont know.–see ya.

5. Linda Hiner says:

Dear Jane, I am not used to asking anyone for help, but find myself in a situation where I must. My son has been an alcohol for many years and refusing to admit it until now. He has been court ordered into a facility for alcohol addiction. Unfortunately the ones that are free have waiting lists and is not able to attend now, today I was able to get them to agree to out patient AA meetings until next court date. I am courenttly taking care of my mother-in-law who is bed ridden and has dementia, my husband is disabled and have a 19 and 21 year old stepson still living at home (no job). Plus 7 rescued cats (who help keep me sane) I watch you every afternoon and hear you talk about your past and am so inspired that I am asking if there is any way I can get your book now and pay you on the 4th of Feb. I am really hoping if he reads how you have survived to become such an inspiration to all addicts he will see he does have a future without alcohol in his life. I look for it at Wal-Mart but they didn’t have it. If not your book can you recommend another route to take with him, he is 44 yrs. old and in a Jerry Springer relationship and I worry he will end up in jail for the rest of his life if he does not get help. Thank you for any advice you can give me. I cannot how much I admire you for telling your story and helping other people.
    Again thank you Linda

6. JANE, DEAR…CONGRATS ON HOW YOU REVEAL YOUR ADDICTIVNESS AND COMPULSIONS! I’M A RECOVERING ALC, TOO! 12 YEARS SOBER AND HAPPY IN MY OWN SKIN AT 73 YRS. YOUNG. I HAD A SUCCESSFUL REAL ESTATE CAREER FOR 35 YRS. DRANK LIKE A FISH EVERY NIGHT, TOOK DIET PILLS IN THE MORNING TO JUMP START, AND DID IT ALL OVER AGAIN. I HAD MANY FALSE STARTS…FINALLY MADE IT. I’M NOT HESITANT TO ANNOUNCE MY RECOVERY IF THE SUBJECT COMES UP–MANY TIMES SOMEONE SAYS:”I NEED TO TALK.” THAT’S OUR RESPONSIBILITY. IT’S GOOD TO BE FREE. I LIKE ME NOW. LOVE, JUDY

7. Where did you go for Etoh treatment? What are the best rehabs in USA?

My daughter went to one on TV in CAlifornia for a month and it didn’t help.

Am desparate for good, affordable rehab for her. She has some insurance.

8. Lidia says:

I did not know that Jane was gay.I am very surprised.I remember that she had an handsome husband and kids 2.When this happened?

9. Ruth O. Hopkins says:

Upon seeing Jane Velez on HLN, she is an incredible human being whom God Almighty chose to be born in this world. She was chosen by God to have the priviledge to be born along with the rest of us. What makes her a very important person, along with our beautiful Nancy Grace, she cares, meaning SHE CARES about the tiniest little animal on this earth. “Jane, we are super proud of you because you are carrying God’s mission regarding little animals.” If they could speak and express their love to you, they would actually be telling the entire earth that they are thankful to you for loving them. Little, big, fat, skinny, beautiful, ugly….ect…they would actually be telling the entire earth that it is not only a crime, it is a very big sin before the Lord, to mistreat a little animal who has life like all of us. We can imagine them telling God that there are very beautiful people on this earth who have hatred towards anybody who does not respect the lives of others…hatred to anybody who thinks that they can do away with God’s creation (which includes innocent and helpless little animals – who have the same exact right to live on this earth…” God bless you Jane; we love you in a way that obeys God’s Word. We love you from the bottem of our little hearts.